Are you looking for perfect fillers between main courses? Then, it would be best if you search for a variety of Kerala Snack Recipes. Many cuisines are very indigenous to Kerala. Apart from just vada and dosa, the country has to offer many mouth-watering meals. They are Aadu Attipathal, egg cutlet, erachi vada, finger prawns, Kerala banana dessert, and Kottayam churuttu. In this, we will talk about the unique Kerala Snack Recipes amongst them is Unnakayas. These are not just easy to cook but also delicious.
Unnakaya is one of the natural and straightforward to find ingredients to cook. It is prepared from bananas, coconut, and a gentle spattering of cardamom and raisins and magnifies each of their flavours in a delicious amalgamation. It is just tempting as the crispy exterior acts as the perfect shield for a sweet liquid mix inside that factually melts in your mouth just after the first bite. This beauty from Malabar Kerala Snack Recipes will surely be a hit at your home during teatime.
Origin – Unnakaya is originated from the Malabar region of India. Mostly it is eaten at the wedding or other festivities. Variations are made by unusual ingredients that are used in the filling. In certain places of the region, coconut is totally avoided, and therefore the mixture is formed with just egg, sugar, and nuts.
Ingredients of Unnakaya – Kerala Snack Recipes:
- Banana – 2
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 tbsp.
- Coconut Oil – 1 cup
Unnakaya Kerala Snack Recipes:
- The first step is to steam the bananas in a pressure cooker.
- Now, take a pan and heat it.
- Pour in two tablespoons of sugar and add some water, but remember just enough to soak the sugar and stir well. You will be needing the patience to wait for the sugar to become syrupy.
- You can now add grated coconut.
- Now, add the raisins and mix nicely.
- Add some cardamom and then continue stirring. Once it is done, you must remove the pan from the fire.
- Now take out the steamed bananas.
- Carefully make a paste out of it.
- Please take a little ball of that paste and spread it inside your palm. Apply some copra oil on your palm, so that the ball won’t stick.
- You would need to take the prepared coconut-sugar-raisin mixture and now place it inside the flattened banana paste.
- Wrap it and gently pat together with your fingers to offer it a spindle shape.
Once enough pieces are ready, then heat some oil and fry the pieces. Golden brown tempting Unnakayas are prepared to go perfectly with your tea or coffee.
Unnakaya Health Benefits:
Everyone, even kids, loves this delicious snack from Kerala. But this snack also comes with many health benefits. Bananas are believed to be rich in fibre, minerals, and nutrients, which has various health reimbursements. One of them is, it can smoothen your digestive system and ensure proper digestion.
The coconut is high in manganese, which is essential for bones and the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and cholesterol. Coconuts are also believed to benefit from heart health. They also promote blood sugar control. One of the exciting facts is that it contains powerful antioxidants, including gallic acid, caffeic acid, salicylic acid, and p-coumaric acid.
You may also like to read, “Andhra Pesarattu Recipe – A Healthy Breakfast“. If you are a food enthusiast, subscribe to our website GoPlanner today!